When parents separate, conflict is hard to avoid. It can be even more challenging for the children are involved. It is normal for you (or your child) or experience a variety of emotions during this time.
When parents go through a separation, children can experience several negative impacts if the conflict is ongoing. It is important to stay supported during the separation process.
How does conflict or separation impact children and young people?
- Struggling emotionally even when they seem fine
- Emotional, social and behavioural problems
- Difficulties concentrating
- Reduced sense of safety and security
- Lower educational achievement
- Issues forming healthy relationships in the future.
What do separating parents need help with?
- Help with making decisions related to the children, including how to best support them
- Property and financial mediation
- Family law information and referrals
- Post-separation support for both parents and children
- Domestic and family violence support
- Family dispute resolution.